Tuesday, October 19

Koko's Kitten

While I was cleaning I found my copy of Koko's Kitten. I have read it a bunch of times and almost every time I forget how sad I find it. Today when I found it I was going through the books on my TV stand and deciding which ones Colleen needs to put away and which ones I want to keep out. Since most of the books are test books the put away pile is rather heavy.

When I found this particular book it actually took me awhile to decide where it should go. Do I keep it? Do I put it away? Do I read it? Ultimately the decision came to keep it out even though no one reads it. I put it in my pile of keep books and went on putting the movies on the TV stand and putting the books on the book shelf. Prior to my cleaning spurt they were swapped. 

Finally I had cleaned everything I was going to and put all of the save books in a neater pile. I saw Koko's Kitten again. I thought dont read it, you dont like it, its sad. So what do I do? I read it. Poor Koko, I would be so upset if my Travis died. I always feel very bad for her when I read this story.

After I read the story and ate dinner I came back in my room and the book was still laying on my bed. I opened up and looked at the copy write date. 1985. Younger than me. Older than Colleen. What happened to Koko? I thought. Google knows the answers, he always does. Google sent me to Koko.org / The Gorilla Foundation.


At koko.org I found out another sad thing. Koko's "brother" Michael died. Granted he died ten years ago but its still sad. Poor Koko first her kitten All Ball gets run over then her brother dies of heart failure. But I think she is doing better now. She has a new friend (I have forgotten his name since I left the site 30 seconds ago, it starts with N) and is moving to Hawaii. I think her future is better than mine.

2 comments:

  1. he story of Koko's Kitten is sad. I had to teach it in school (reading) every year and watch a whole new crop of kids cry. Even so, like you, they all loved and hated the story.

    I knew about Koko's brother, but I didn't know she was on her way to Hawaii. I hope she likes it there.

    ReplyDelete